Hesperides Cruise, Alboran Sea Sept. 26th - Oct 6th. 1999
This cruise was organised by Jordi Font of CSIC as part of the MATER project. Kees van Lenning participated as part of his regular chlorophyll work within CODENET. In addition, due to some other participnts dropping out Jordi and Kees were able, at very short notice, to invite wider CODENET participation in this cruise. After some rather frantic logistics we were able to arrange a team of three to join them.
Sandra Broerse (VU Amsterdam)
Markus Geisen (NHM London)
Andy Howard (NHM/UCL London)
Since this was primarily a physical oceanography cruise only CODENET workers were interested in water samples and consequently they had unlimited access to the samples from the large rosette sampler (24x 12l bottles) and numerous CTD casts were planned.
So it was possible to carry out an intensive sampling protocol, covering most of the sample types included in the Lisbon Cruise, including
- 400 LM & SEM filter samples for coccolithophorids
- Fixed water samples for plankton counts (for Mater Estrada, CSIC)
- Bulk coccolith carbonate filter samples for Sr/Ca analyses (for Heather Stoll, Oviedo)
- Bulk coccolith carbonate filter samples for stable isotopes (for Patrizia Ziveri, VUA)
- Bulk plankton biomass samples for alkenones (for Hanno Kinkel, NIOZ)
- Concentrated and unconcentrated water samples for isolations (collected using plankton net and filtration of water from the DCM collected by the rosette sampler (for Ian Probert, Caen and Franco Novarino, NHM)
- Conrol water samples for nutrient analyses,
- and of course an enormous collection of bulk plankton biomass samples for chlorophyll analyses.
A longer report of our activities will be available as pat of the regular cruise report from the CSIC/Hesperides site shortly (or try looking now).
Return to: top,
CODENET WWW Site Index Page
Please send sample requests, comments or corrections to Markus Geisen